to the Mine Workshops in Souriza's valley
FROM THE NORTH OF ATHENS
- Get on the Attiki Odos motorway heading in the direction of Markopoulo.
- Keep straight on, do not turn into the right lane for the El. Venizelos International Airport
(Reset your Odometer here) (Location of Airport exit: 37° 54' 38.03" N, 23° 53' 51.30" E)
(If coming directly from the airport, take the motorway in the direction of Markopoulo)
- At 2.0 Km Exit the Attiki Odos motorway onto Leoforos Lavriou.
- At 4.0 Km At the traffic lights, keep straight for Keratea/Lavrio, do not turn left into Markopoulo
- Enjoy the new dual carriageway through the hills & most of the way to Lavrio
- At 9.5 Km Little sign says Lavrio (reassurance)
- At 14.9 Km Do not turn right for Keratea village, keep straight on the dual carriageway
- At 17.3 Km notice giant concrete statues on the right
- At 25.7 Km notice wind farm generators on the hills on the left side
- At 30.5 Km notice power station and the sea on the left side
- At 31.5 Km enter the avenue of the palms
- At 32.0 Km TURN RIGHT at the traffic lights - half way along the avenue of the palms
into Odos Kamariza (Turn-off location: 37° 43' 12.41" N, 24° 03' 10.80" E)
- Drive through the old village up towards the hill
- At 32.5 Km notice Ag. Konstandinos 5 Km sign & follow it's direction
(notice old mining complex on the right)
- At 35.5 Km arrive at crossroads at Ag. Konstadinos (CAREFUL YOU DON"T MISS THIS) and
TURN LEFT (there is a brown "Ancient Mine Workshop" sign pointing the way but you only see it after you have passed it!) (Turnoff location: 37° 43' 28.48" N, 24° 01' 04.32" E)
- The road along here badly needs repair. Enjoy views of hills & sea to the left. Notice heaps of brown discard from various silver mines almost everywhere you look.
- Look for a very small sign on your right saying "Xaos". From here if you wish, you can walk through the pine trees on your left hand side to see the huge chasm near the local hill called "Xaos" or Chaos.
(Chasm location: 37°43' 14.49" N, 24° 01' 18.84" E)
- At 39.1 km TURN LEFT at Ag. Triada church (set back from the road) and park while you take a short rest in the shade of the trees & fill your water bottle from the tap outside the church, and make yourself comfortable (there are a few derelict buildings set in the trees). (Ag. Triada location: 37° 41' 46.75" N, 24° 01' 04.72" E)
- Get back on the road and after couple of hundred metres TURN LEFT at the sign for the "Ancient Mine Workshop" (Sign location: 37°41' 34.80" N, 24° 00' 52.52" E), go to the end of the road and park. From here you have a wonderful view of the Souriza's valley and further down, the Agrileza valley. Steps go down to the mine workshops on the right hand side.
- NOTE (2009) - A gate has been placed on the road to the parking area and may be closed.
FROM THE SOUTH OF ATHENS
along the coastal road towards Sounio and the Temple of Poseidon.
-Pass the turnoff to the right for Sounio and the temple (easy to miss).
(Temple turnoff location: 37° 39' 30.69" N, 24° 01' 45.31" E)
-In about 1 Km of winding road you will see a little Police Station on the right, almost immediately
followed by a longish dark-green fence & gate.
-Almost immediately after this you will see a Taverna on the left.
-Slow down NOW and turn LEFT at the blue sign saying Ag. Konstadinos and underneath (Kamariza) and underneath this MINERAL MUSEUM (in English). You are now on the Kamarizas-Souniou road.
[See photos of turnoff below]
Zero your Odometer here. CAREFUL, this turn is on a sharp bend and cars go along here fast.
-You will go up a winding lane through houses, then up through the hillsides. Enjoy the views.
- 5.6 Km after the Mineral Museum sign, turn RIGHT and park near the Ag. Triada church while you take a short rest in the shade of the trees & fill your water bottle from the tap outside the church, and make yourself comfortable (there are a few derelict buildings set in the trees).
- Get back on the road, return the way you came, and after couple of hundred metres TURN LEFT at the sign for the "Ancient Mine Workshop", go to the end of the road and park. From here you have a wonderful view of Souriza's valley and further down, the Agrileza valley . Steps go down to the mine workshops on the right hand side.
The turn-off on the coastal road for the mine workshops (to the right) coming from the Lavrio direction.
Approaching on the coastal road from the South of Athens in the opposite direction, the turning
(to the left) is more difficult to see. It is 1.2 km after the turnoff for the Temple of Poseidon at Sounio.
Location of turnoff: 37° 39' 55.89" N, 24° 02' 9.61" E
Satellite view of turn-off to the mine workshops.